Farmhouse Chicken & Corn Chowder from America’s Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution
photo: Good Heavens Baking Blog
I have seen some reviews for this recipe online that say the recipe is average, or just okay … but we loved it. I made it exactly as the cookbook states and it was fantastic. We have tons of leftovers and trust me, it will all be devoured.
- 2 slices bacon, minced
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chili in adobo seasoning
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 3 tablespoons cilantro
- Cook bacon in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon oil and onions and cook until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, tomato paste, and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in 2 cups broth, scraping up any browned bits; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir remaining 3 cups broth, potatoes, carrot, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces.
- Let soup settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon; discard bay leaves.
- Microwave bell pepper with remaining teaspoon oil in bowl, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- In separate bowl, microwave cream corn until hot, about 3 minutes.
- Stir softened peppers, hot creamed corn, shredded chicken, cream, and chipotles into soup and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in basil, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.